Translate

Friday 27 September 2013

MRI scans, signing papers and mixed feelings

Got the letter for the MRI scan

I recently got the letter through for my MRI scan. Whoever folded the letter to put it in the envelope did not do a decent job. The apparently confidential letter was no longer confidential with my MRI details being on display for all to see. 
I have never been for an MRI scan so feeling a bit nervous but my sister is coming up to Preston to be with me for it so I have stocked up my cupboards and fridge ready to get fat with her and pig out. Looks like my sister will have to sleep on the sofa as my boyfriend will complain that he did not get enough beauty sleep. My appointment is at 7:45am! I am not looking forward to getting up super early for it but it has to be done to see whether the cancer has spread to other parts of my body. 


24th September- Scan day

I managed to get up after not much sleep and make the boyfriend and my sister a brew this morning as well as supply them with pastries for breakfast. We set off to the hospital a little later than expected and arrived 15 minutes late but since I was the first one there the nurses did not really mind. I had to get changed into a robe which I was not sure which way it was supposed to go as the nurse did not tell me and I have never had to put one on before. My sister made me put it on the wrong way round which amused the nurse until I corrected it. No one was allowed in with me as it would have taken extra time to fill out more paper work. I had to have an MRI with contrast when I thought I would just be getting a normal MRI. 
I sat down for the nurse to insert a needle into my arm to inject the dye half way through my scan. The nurse forgot to cap the tube sticking out of my arm so a pool of my blood collected on the floor, down my arm and on my gown. She then apologised admitting she had forgotten to cap the tube and cleaned me up. I just shrugged and politely replied with "ah it's OK, I have plenty of blood, I am sure I wont miss a little pool here and there".  I was then led into the MRI room where I lay down on the table and had a plastic case type thing put over my neck, chest and stomach and another one over my head which completely stopped me from moving. I felt as though I was imprisoned, about to be eaten by this giant metal machine whilst thinking to myself, all you have to do is stay perfectly still, how hard can it be when you are already strapped in? I was wearing ear plugs and headphones so that I could talk to the nurse whilst in the MRI machine. Once in there it was very loud and I can get bored quite easily so decided to turn the sounds into songs. For some reason Oh Ho Ho It's magic kept popping into my head. It amused me for a little while I suppose. Half way through the contrast dye was injected to make my veins more apparent during the scan. I have heard that a lot of people experience a warm sensation but to me it was freezing cold, like ice entering my veins and working its way up my arm. After a while it turned warm but my arms went numb so I kept on making fists with my hands to see if me improving my circulation would make a difference... it didn't. 
After an hour it was finally over and I came out with marks all over me from being strapped down for so long. The feeling of the needle being taken out of my arm after an hour was amazing as it was annoying me the whole time I was being scanned.  After I had got changed I was greeted with warm love filled cuddles from my sister and boyfriend as I re-entered the reception. My arm hurt a while after the procedure but gradually felt better throughout the day. I was hoping to include pictures of my experience into my blog but the nurse would not allow them to be taken. 
It got to 7pm and I got a call from the hospital. The first thought that popped into my head was " it is a bit late for them to be calling me now isn't it"? 
The call informed me of my appointment for my surgery consultation on the 26th and that instead of giving me the option to have a month or so to decide the date of my surgery like they originally intended, I now have to have it on the 30th September due to my scans.

I have looked for any useful videos or links related to MRI scans and contrasts that might be helpful so here they are:

MRI scan- Bupa UK

MRI exam

What is getting an MRI like?  

I know this is not the happiest blog right now so here is a picture of a cat looking fabulous to cheer you up a little:

26th September- Signing the thyroidectomy papers

Today I went to the hospital to sign the papers for my thyroidectomy and have my surgery consultation. My Surgeon told my mum, dad and boyfriend who came with me all the risks that would be involved in detail so that we would be prepared if anything did happen during surgery. There were a few possible risks such as:

  • Infection
  • Not being able to talk properly or having a husky voice
  • Not being able to shout or talk loudly
  • Tracheostomy
  • Bleeding 
  • Sore hoarse throat
  • Not being able to talk at all
After hearing the risks my surgeon said I would be getting my surgery on Friday when I had already got a call saying it would be the Monday so my boyfriend told her and she rang someone to sort out the dates. Turns out they mixed up the dates so on the Monday I would have been having my deviated septum fixed instead of my thyroidectomy. I could have been going into the hospital for one thing and coming out with another if she did not check! That got sorted out and I was taken to another room for the surgery consultation which consisted of questions such as:

  • Family history
  • Address/ name/ D.O.B
  • Next of kin
  • Previous surgeries
  • Medication you are taking
  • Pregnancy
I was also informed about how long the surgery might take, what ward I would be staying in, if people were allowed in with me, the routine of the procedure. I had to do a few swab tests and have my blood pressure, height and weight checked.
After all this was dealt with I had to have a few blood tests to check if I was anaemic, for a blood transfusion and a few other things. I told the nurse that she might as well use the same arm that the MRI contrast went in so that I did not have two sore arms. She took four bottles which was unexpected and left my arm feeling quite sore due to the previous bruising. 


Mixed feelings?

My family left the hospital that day feeling a lot better about the operation whilst I was still feeling unsure about a few things but I am bound to as I am the one who is having the operation when I have never had an operation before. I know that I am in good hands with a skilled surgeon and that she will do a great job but I am really nervous and the operation is not far away. Will be having my neck cut open in three days, It is enough to send shivers down anyone's spine. I will be fine though and believe that my surgeon is quite skilled in the throat surgery department. Wish me luck!

My next post will include how my operation went and how I feel during recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment