Translate

Sunday 20 October 2013

Histopathology, Blood Tests, Questionnaires and recovery.

15th October- Hospital check up 

Had my hospital appointment at 11am. As soon as I went in to see Miss Thomas she told me there was good news and bad news as my lab report had come back. She told me that she took out my thyroid which was where the cancer was but my cancer had spread. She also took out all ten lymph nodes in my neck, one of which was also cancerous as well as one of my parathyroids, a mass of tissue in my neck and a mass from my chest. The tissue from my neck and chest was also cancerous and showed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Stage pT3 pN1a. 
We had a talk about how I was feeling and I informed her that I was tired a lot, had pains in my neck shooting up to my ears and my neck was itchy a lot of the time and she told me it would still take a while to heal properly and that my voice should come back fully within a year or so. She checked my vocal chords with a scope up my nose and down my throat which was uncomfortable as she did not numb it like last time so my eyes were watering and it hurt a little. She asked me to cut down on my calcium tablets so I told her about my shaking hands and she told me not to at the moment but I should do eventually or my parathyroids will get lazy and not work so I am cutting down to one a day next week. She sent me for some blood tests to check my hormone and calcium levels. 

Brightlight

I was sent to talk to a woman called Carolyn who asked if I would mind taking part in a three year survey for Brightlight. Over three years you take part in answering five questionnaires, some face to face in an interview, over the phone and online. The first is after 7 months of being diagnosed, after 18 months, 2 years and 3 years. It is for young people aged 13-24 years with cancer to see if there is anything that can be improved and how their experience was. Some questions that are asked are:
  • How does having cancer affect you?
  • What do you think of the cancer services you are receiving?
  • What are the costs to you and your family, of receiving treatment and care?
You do not have to take part in Brightlight but you have to sign a consent form if you do. 

16th-20th October

Throughout the week I have been having ups and downs, feeling sick, dizzy and weak. On Wednesday I managed to have my first day out on my own to go to the Dentist and see my grandparents as well as make a chicken dinner for my family. It was a hectic day and left me very tired but I was happy for managing to go out on my own. It was good to be able to see my grandad and he seemed very happy too. Unfortunately it left me feeling down for my Aunts visit the next day where I was almost falling asleep whilst she was talking to me.
On the Friday I started to get a very painful headache on the right side that would keep on coming and going. I also had my first night out to the pub with my family and boyfriend which was fun, was able to see people I had not seen in a long time. 
Picture taken before night out.


The next day me, my boyfriend, my sister and her boyfriend decided to go up and see my dad after having a yummy burger king for dinner. We had a lovely catch up and I taught him how to make playlists on Youtube. We discussed what is going to happen at The Christie over a few brews and then went home. 
Me and Ric before our drive.

My sister

Me and my dad.

Sunday the day of rest. Today all I have done is sit around listening to music and write my blog post. Cleaned the rat cage out and got a lovely new rat called Tilly who was my mums rat but she can longer have them because of her allergies. My headaches have become worse and very painful. Bed at 11pm now as I have to be at the Christie at 9am! Early bird get the worm!
Ratigan Tilly.


Next post will include how it went at The Christie. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done. I had my thyroid and lymph removed in aug 11. It was spreading fast towards my lung And i was given a low chance of survival if my lungs had been caught as the lymph was secondary and had mutated. I will add u as a friend on fb and u can see my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like that and what kind did you have? Thankfully mine was slow growing. Hope everything is OK now :)

      Delete